About Tom Hirst
I'm a web development consultant and freelancing mentor working with people around the world from my home office in Wakefield (near Leeds), UK.
I've grown up with the web.
Starting with a 56K modem and an after school coding course, the internet and building websites grabbed my attention.
My entrepreneurial streak was encouraged from a young age via my parents' investment in my first ever business; selling Pokémon cards at car boots sales.
Programming became my passion and working for myself became the goal.
I first discovered WordPress in its infancy while studying for my degree in multimedia and communication design at Sheffield Hallam University.
A blogging platform only at the time, I saw the potential of WordPress and stuck with it.
WordPress has now become the go to content management system for millions, powering almost 36% of websites on the internet.
Armed with my WordPress expertise and the desire to run my own company, upon graduating from university I started my WordPress freelancing business aged 22.
As my web development career progressed, I picked up additional programming languages and honed my business skills.
This knowledge has become imperative in WordPress development and the way modern websites and applications are built.
A decade in business later, I've partnered on digital projects for the likes of the NHS, Facebook, Umbro, TGI Fridays and BMW, to name a few.
Being an effective remote worker, I've delivered results for clients based in the USA, Australia, throughout Europe and across the UK.
In addition to building things for the internet, I continue to pursue my interest in business and marketing through my writing.
Having been a freelance WordPress developer for a long time, I find it incredibly fulfilling to help others get ahead by sharing my experience.
My mentorship programme for freelancers, focused on teaching people how to get paid what they're worth, work smarter and find balance, has helped 10s of self-employed professionals around the world get ahead since it's launch.
In April 2020, I released my first book on the topic named, 10 Steps To Becoming A Better Freelancer.
In July 2020, I released my second book, Pricing Freelance Projects.
I live with my wife Steph and daughter Ruby in the Sandal suburb of Wakefield where we enjoy taking advantage of the Yorkshire countryside by walking our dog, Bruce.
Podcasts and Interviews with me
- The Personal Website Playbook with Tom Osman: Creating a personal website that converts
- How Do You Know? with Andra Zaharia: Short-term changes for your long-term endgame
- Talking with Francesco Ciulla: How to freelance as a web developer for a long time
- The Front End Podcast: Running a successful freelancing business for over a decade
- 20MAX: Winning your first client, maintaining work-life balance and the future of web development
- WP Café: Pricing WordPress products and services
- Pressing Matters: WordPress Freelancing & Pricing with Tom Hirst
- Whisky Wednesdays: Freelancing as a web developer
- Addicated To Learning: On what it takes to win the freelancing game
- The Average Dev: Pricing, positioning & confidence with Tom Hirst
I'm happy to appear on all relevant podcasts!
Connect with me
I'm available for hire
Fill out the form below to start a conversation with me: